Friday, September 21, 2007

5 languages of Apology

"You can't find a long term relationship without apologizing."
"...deal with our failures in a effective way, accepting responsibility for our behavior."
- Gary Chapman.

There are truth in those words above, apology is necessary for any long term relationship, be it work or life related. In the audio conversation about the 5 Languages of Apology, he explains different people requires different type of apology to feel that they have been apologized to. The 5 languages are:

1) Expressing regret : I am hurting because I hurt you.
2) Accepting responsibility : I was wrong.
3) Making amends : What can I do to make up for you.
4) Repent : Desire not to do this again.
5) Requesting forgiveness: Asking for forgiveness.

For me, a true apology will involves elements of 1, 3 and 4. Doing 3 and 4 covers 2 for me and I would not expects a person to do 5 because it is hard for me. More significantly, knowing the concept of 5 languages of apology frees me from expecting the apology language I need, its allows me to understand the type of apology a person can give. To know a person apology languages requires a journey of sincere exchange of understanding and remembering how the person apologies.

Of course, nothing beats the ring of true sincerity in apologizing, authentic sincerity truly start the opening of door to forgiveness.

ps: Interestingly, Gary Chapman have another book on languages of love which begs for me to seek and read. Stay tuned!

No comments: