Thursday, March 15, 2007

How to manage your boss

I have problem handling aggressive people, especially aggressive uncommunicative boss. And it is proven that my patient logical analytical approach does not work with these type of people. Maybe, my past exposure to good communicative bosses did not prepare me well to handle these type of bosses.

A recruitment consultant shared with me his approach.
1) Speak to them privately. Make them understand how their action is causing conflict. Ask them to imagine how it will feel if they are in the receiving end of their own action.
2) Get a 3rd party involved if the message is not accepted.

The first point will always requires multiple attempts to break the boss/subordinates barrier. This is where I failed. I attempted once only. I should persist till the resistance wear down.

The recruitment consultant advise is a communication method to convey to a superior that his action is causing conflict.

I wonder how the relationship will improve once the approach is taken. I believe the human-to-human chemistry is difficult to change. Is the original cause of conflict a combination of poor communication and wrong chemistry? I sense so.


Kang Ta - Paralysis