Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Career Ladder

Today interview went well. My interviewer is a young chap from OZ. He is the 2nd founder of the company and heads the Asia Pacific region. I was surprised at how small the physical size of the company is. It is located in tidy alley in Circular Road, opposite the "Banana Leaf" restaurant.
I worried about the role and responsibilities of the position because the interviewer is a sale focus person. The current PM lasted 4 months while the previous lasted a year plus. This worries me. He expects result.

It is a "get the job without distributing him much" environment. The only plus point is it may fit my go-at-it and "lone-ranger" personality. Also, there is no other existing current competitor in the company.

The position is in another industry and away from application development industry. I foresee that I cannot rely on my technical strength anymore but more on reading the behavior and personality of others. In term of career move, it will affirm my PM position.

So what next after this job? I am 35 this year. I will need to map out my career ladder. e.g. Project Manager -> Project Director -> Program Manager.

Table 1: Setting Career Goals

Career Plan for ________________

Last revised _____________

Position

Time Frame

Organization/Industry

Relevant

Certifications

Experience Required

ΓΌ

1

2

3

4

5


I need to plan and think how to fill in the above table with my career roadmap.

Don't dream its over - Crowded House.

No comments: