Tuesday, August 12, 2008

House Bound Mass: Roman 9:1-5

As I sat there, far from her, away from my sight, yet her slow low voice, cry out with so much appreciation, wonder, love that caught everyone attention.

"Brothers and sisters:
I speak the truth in Christ, I do not lie;
my conscience joins with the Holy Spirit in bearing me witness"

Her voice breaking, choking on invisible tears, continues...

" that I have great sorrow and constant anguish in my heart.
For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ"

She sobs and making great efforts to continue, trying hard to voice out the words that touches her so deeply, trying hard to finish her role in mass.

"for the sake of my own people..."

Unable to finish, her attempts to breath back her tears, her attempts to stop her sobbing, sound out loudly across the hall.

She is a old lady, house-bound, bought over by an volunteer, taking part in a Mass for people like her. Another younger volunteer took over her and finished the passage.

Today reading is more touching, more wonderful than all previous reading I heard, for it was spoken by someone immediately touched by the love of our God. Even though she is not able to complete the reading, her voice showed her faith and love. It is not what is spoken but what came from the heart. And today, her heart spokes.

Amen.

No comments: